2018 Q4 – Phishing Activity Trends Report
16 May 2019
- The number of confirmed phishing sites declined as 2018 proceeded. Detection of phishing sites has become harder because phishers are obfuscating phishing URLs with multiple redirections.
- Phishing that targeted SaaS and webmail services doubled in Q4.
- The number of phishing attacks hosted on Web sites that have HTTPS and SSL certificates declined for the first time in history.
- In Brazil, phishers offered Black Friday sales “specials” to their criminal brethren.
- Phishing remains most prevalent in the old, large gTLD .COM. But phishing is higher than normal in some new gTLDs and repurposed ccTLDs.